Friday, October 26, 2007

Torture Mountain AKA Lone Peak

One day Patrick said, "Let's climb Lone peak". What he didn't say was that we were going to get bad directions from an old man that would lead us astray and we would get so tired that we would sit in deer poop and not even notice or care.

So the old man said to take the right branch and we would avoid a shale slide. So we take the right and end up way off track. The problem was that we had gained so much altitude that we didn't want to just turn around. Looking at the topo map we decided that trail must be just on the next ridge over. We thought we would be smarter to just bushwack. The trail wasn't on the next ridge and we then had a choice of bushwacking forward or bushwacking back the way we came. By the time we found the trail we were so tired that we accidentally sat in deer poop and didn't even move when we noticed it.

We camped in a meadow that was about halfway to the top. We originally intended to summit and then camp but with the whole lost thing, we camped half way to the top. Patrick had an enormous blister. The next day it bled all over his sock. Very sad.


We walked a long way to watch the sunset and Patrick thought he had the world in his hand. Really it was the sun.
The next day we started for the summit. It was hard even without our packs. Something odd happened to me. I was only about 500 ft from the summit and I realized I wasn't having fun anymore. I was so tired that if Patrick hadn't been there I would have turned around even being that close to the top. I was happy when I finally got to the top. It was amazing. But I'm still a little disturbed that I got past my fun threashold.
The view from the top was so amazing. The peak was the most cliche peak, super rocky and pointy. I have never been on the top of a mountain that there were many unavoidable death-defying parts to scale before getting there. I think that must be kind of like Everest. I don't know if I would ever climb it again but it was amazing...and torturous.

3 comments:

J. Melody said...

Hi Patrick and Meghan...I found you through Tisse's site. I love everything on your blog except the picture of the blister. It looks soooo painful it actually made me get that achey feeling. Lone Peak is quite the undertaking...way to go!
Hope to see you soon!
JMelody

jaredandmatisse said...

That blister looks terrible! What did you do? Did you have Band-Aids? Lone Peak is very difficult and I think Patrick should have warned you how hard it is before you went, then you would have been more prepared for the challenge and not passed the sacred "Fun threshold". It is, however, a noble thing that you pushed yourself passed your limits. I am sure Jared has lots of running quotes that will bring a tear to your eye. On the bright side, I think you are ready for Everest!

Spencer G said...

So, if I wanted to summit Lone Peak you'd be the folks to ask on what to and not to do?