Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fall Colors and Activities

This post is mostly for my Mom who really wanted to be out here in Connecticut for the leaves to change. The irony is my parents never, ever, read my blog. Ever. Oh well.

Though I grew up in Wisconsin I have been away from real fall colors for about 10 years. I realize now that I really didn't appreciate it when I was younger. I find the changing trees so incredible. There are so many really spectacular trees. I feel like there is a rainbow around every corner. There are times I just want to cry because of the beauty. That being said, these pictures don't really look much like the real thing. It's depressing but true. The trees in real life with the sun gleaming off of them look like they are glowing. I think I've gone on long enough about the pretty trees.

Patrick and I found this resevoir while hiking one day and last Sunday decided to see if we could drive out to it. We brought a blanket and played guitar. It was great because there was no one there and it was beautiful.


Here are a couple of particularly beautiful trees that are around Danbury.

While we were biking we also found this amazing fungus on one of the downed trees. It, too, looks even better in real life.

While we were biking Patrick was somehow attacked by his bike. I decided to refrain from the close up, gorey picture. I won't go into detail about the wound as some people have already had to hear the grusome tale, but the teeth on the crank dug into his leg and let's just say it took out a chunk and was disgusting.
Then this weekend we went to Hartford. The drive there was amazing in and of itself. But we also hiked up to the much frequented Tower.


Another of our activities was reading this funny website which inspired this funny skit. Here is the link to the article it was done after http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/11/87-outdoor-performance-clothes/ . It has nothing to do with fall colors but we thought we were pretty funny.
I am excited because there are still quite a few trees that are still green so I hope there will be a couple more weeks of great leaves.

4 comments:

EmilyCC said...

It is SO sad that those fall colors never come through on camera, but I appreciate the attempts nonetheless! The only thing falling around our house are stupid ash tree seedlings.

Kayla said...

Meghann! i found your blog on Stacey's! how are you??? you now live in CT? where? We used to live there for 3 years, in Manchester, right out of Hartford. I LOVED it, and get soooo homesick this time of year for that beautiful fall foilage. We then went to NY for a couple of years and now we're in CO (and happy to be here). What brings you to CT?
what else is new with you? we're having baby #3 in January (ahhhh!)and our third girl! come visit my blog nycrocketts.blogspot.com!

jaredandmatisse said...

I love the trees! They are my friends... maybe my only friends. Your photos are very beautiful! I can't imagine how the real thing looks.

Stacey B. said...

You guys always seem to have fun and it's so great to see all the beautiful trees. We have a plethora of them in our neck of the woods, but I don't have a chance to take pictures of them or actually enjoy more than a drive by glance. Usually I'm saying something like, "Alli look at that tree, all the leaves are turning red, Alli. Alli! Alli, I said, look at that tree...." You can see the problem, eh? But still beautiful, nonetheless (who decided that nonetheless should be one word instead of three?)